Wednesday 8 October 2014

Edmonton Scam Alert: How I lost $1150 to a Fake Armani Leather Jackets Seller

After a long day at work, and knowing that I wouldn't be able to cook upon getting home so I decided to grab a Tuna sandwich at Subway Restaurant (Ellerslie/111 St. Edmonton). As I walked toward my vehicle, a young man by the name Antonio in a Hyundai Tucson vehicle stops in front of me. Below is our conversation:

ANTONIO: Excuse me, my English is not very good. You look European, do you speak Italian? I need directions to Edmonton International Airport. I have a flight to catch in 4 hours.
ME: Sorry I don't speak Italian nor am I European but I can show you how to get to the airport as requested. By the way I can see you have an Iphone, why don't you use Google Map for directions?
ANTONIO: In his thick Italian accent, he replies. I am not used to using my phone for directions. In fact, I just hosted a seminar at Harry Rosen at West Edmonton Mall. But I need to catch my flight back to Milan Italy tonight. He continues: If you don't mind can I park my car so that we can figure it out?
ME: Still holding my Tuna Sandwich, I replied, sure, you can park and I'll show you how to use the Google Map to get directions.

Antonio parks his Grey SUV with plate (K-5.....) in the park lot across from 'SAVE ON FOODS' Grocery store at Ellerslie/111 St., Edmonton. He was a well dressed gentleman, super friendly and perhaps I showed the sympathetic side of me as I willingly prepared to help him catch his flight, but in the end I became his victim. As he hands me over his Iphone to help me with Google Map, he starts to tell me about himself as an Italian Fashion Designer, how Harry Rosen flew him from Italy, about his day at Harry Rosen, how he was there to help lunch the 2015 Armani Calfskin Leather Jackets. His intro was so captivating and convincing that I never for once had any reason to doubt him even though my fingers were still on his iPhone, trying to figure out Google Maps as his phone setting is in Italian language.
Two fancy bags from Antonio
His palatable speech about his fashion accolades switches gears the moment he realizes that I was able to help with the Google Map setup. In short a lot were said but I'll keep it short. Antonio convinced me to sit in the passenger seat of his SUV, that he had some of the Leather jackets to show me from the seminar. Holding my poor and now cold Tuna Sandwich, I sit as he brings out 2 brown shopping bags labeled ' EA COLLECTION ITALY STYLE,' each containing 3 leather jackets of different styles and sizes. He continues to talk sweetly as he unpacks individual jacket from the bags. He mentions names like Halle Berry Edition as well as David Beckham Limited Edtion. He adds: Nobody on this planet has access to these jackets as they'll be released in three weeks. At this point my head exploded!( I am sure anyone in my position with a guy as presentable as he was would react alike...). Now at this juncture, he switches gears again!

Antonio's next step was to sell the jackets to me, and here's why. He says to me, each jacket is at least $2500. To prove that he was a good accountant, he tries to remind me that all SIX jackets would cost me about $16,000 if I was to buy them at the store. Now here's where the story gets even more interesting. Antonio says that Harry Rosen gave him the jackets for free for honoring their invitation, although that he would love to take them to Milan; but the issue is the $3500 custom tax that he's going to pay to bring them to Italy. He says to me: Sampson, you have been really helpful to me especially in helping me figure out how to get to the airport, now is my turn to return the favour. Listen Sampson, I want you to take all SIX jackets and give me $2500. Basically 5 is free, you only pay for ONE jacket. He adds: I only need the $2500 to pay for my rental car and other miscellaneous expenses before I can board the plane to Italy. To further convince me, he quickly shows me his European passport, takes my phone and types his information including his office in Italy as well as Harry Rosen Store Manager (Mr. Mike Canzanella) in case I wish to inquire on the authenticity of the jackets. He even brought out a lighter to test the jackets as I sit there in his SUV and watch the presentation with absolute enthusiasm-- I continue to nod my head non-stop assuring him that everything he has said about himself and the jacket is nothing short of the truth. Yes, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

As a businessman, I was already doing the maths in my head, how much profit I'd make if I bought and sold the jackets on eBay...I was extremely overwhelmed. At the same time, I thought I was dreaming, but then again I took a closer look at the Tuna sandwich that I had been holing in my hands for about 30 minutes as my stomach rumbles but the excitement outweighed the angry and hungry sounds from my stomach . To cut long story short, I told Antonio how luck I was to have met him, that I did not have $2500 to spend on the jackets. In fact I told him that I can't afford the jackets, that I have invested my money in my construction projects for the month. While I was expressing myself to Antonio another voice in my head was calling me stupid; asking me questions like: how are you going to say no to such a great deal? Are you crazy?....While these questions were battling  in my head, Antonio steps in. He goes: You know what Sampson, it's your lucky day. I am gonna cut the asking price in half. In fact give me $1300, as he hands both bags to me in a gentlemanly manner. At this point I was lost for words. I had about $650 in my wallet, so I told him to follow me to the TD Bank across the street to withdraw some cash.
The six fake leather jackets
Antonio was swift about it as he reminds me that he has a flight to catch. All along he hasn't given me any signal to doubt him. So we drove to the bank. As I approach the ATM machine, he follows me. I expected him to wait in his car while I withdrew the cash, I felt a bit uncomfortable, but the look on his face once again assures me that all is well. While he stands there as I withdraw the cash, I realize that the limit on my personal account was $500. So I let him know right away. He says to me to try entering bigger numbers like $800 that I might get lucky, I replied: This is my account, the limit is set, there's no getting lucky here... I can only afford $500 + the $650 = $1150. He goes, use your credit cards or other debit cards for cash..he smiles as he talks, once again assuring me that he's only doing me a favor. Although I had my Business Card in my Wallet but a voice tells me to NOT use it. SO I gave him my final answer in an angry fashion ... $1150 or forget it!  Antonio saw that I was getting upset for asking me to use my other cards to get more cash for him, he takes the $1150 from, gives me a friendly hug and says to me 'thank you brother for saving me... I am sure with this money I can pay for my rental car and fly back to Milan. He continues: I'm coming to Edmonton back in March to launch my Spring collection, I hope to see you when I return. The amazing thing about Antonio is that the more he talks, the more I trust him but it all changed the moment he drives away with my $1150 cash. He almost crashed his car as he speeds off. He was so fast that I was unable to get the plate number, I could only see K-5-----.  From there I realized he scammed me.

As I get home with the 2 bags, I managed to eat my Tuna Sandwich, I unpacked the bags, googled "EA COLLECTION ITALY STYLE" only to realize that the first 4 links that popped up were scam related; with my encounter 90% similar to those of the other victims. Usually with a guy with an Italian name needing directions to the airport. I have come to understand that a scam like this has been existing in Edmonton after it happened to me. I felt stupid losing $1150 to such a man within an hour; after reading my story I am sure some people would call me names like: stupid, dumb, foolish, and much more, but that's fine. I am a very smart man, it's hard for people to deceive me but then again I am only human--- I make mistakes too, and perhaps mistakes only makes me wiser and smarter-- it's part of my daily life experience!

It is critical to note that I did not publish this blog for your pity or for anyone to sympathize with me because I know I won't recover the money unless there's a miracle, but rather to use this medium to reach out to everyone out there. This scam is continually perpetuated all over the world; especially in the U.S and Canada. I am not the first victim, and I am sure I'll NEVER be the last. I encourage everyone; including the Police and the general public to keep their eyes open for guys like Antonio as Christmas is around the corner. This heartless and jobless criminals will approach you someday, they will do whatever it takes to convince you, and when they do please be prepared to defend yourself and be sure to contact the police as fast as you can. I wish I had be warned prior to my encounter with Antonio, he would have regretted approaching me in the first place! I have lost my hard earned $1150 to him, but it is not the end of my life, the good news is I am doing well, financially-- with my construction business, sometimes I make that in one day, so I don't see it as a loss, it was God teaching me a lesson, reminding be to be careful, and perhaps it could have been worse. Also, using this as an avenue to reach out to the public reminding people to stay safe is quite fulfilling. Money comes, money goes but life must go on.

In view of this, I encourage TD Bank with the address: 933 James Mowatt Trail SW Edmonton, AB. Phone #: (780) 448-8668 to release a video footage of me withdrawing $500 from my personal account and giving it to Antonio on Tues. October 7th between 8pm & 9pm to the Police upon request. The video camera would show me handing Antonio the cash from the ATM as well as additional cash from my wallet. Guys like Antonio need to be exposed to make Edmonton and other great cities in the world a better place to live.

My name is Sampson Diji. The above situation is not fictitious. It happened to me as described above on Tuesday Oct. 7, 2014. 

Should you have any info on guys like Antonio, please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

PS. For more information on other victims and their heartbreaking stories, google:
"EA COLLECTION ITALY STYLE"

Stay safe folks!





No comments:

Post a Comment